In a few short weeks back in March the working world changed. Covid 19 turned what was a growing trend into an everyday reality. Workers all over the country set up home offices, requested laptops, network access and headsets to do their everyday jobs from the kitchen table.
Some companies already had remote working policies in place. For others though it was an avalanche.
In the rush to get set up companies used what applications were readily at their disposal e.g. third party file sharing and free video conferencing with no real long term thinking.
Now things have changed. Remote working is set to remain for some time to come and indeed could well become the preferred option for many workers. 83% have indicated they want to keep working from home after the Covid 19 crisis has ended. This week Google announced have pulled out of talks to lease a 7-storey office in Dublin and others will follow suit.
Businesses need to look at their remote working environment with a longer-term strategy in mind.
The greatest challenge facing businesses is a technical one – giving each user the tools for safe and efficient remote working. Delivering laptops to employees is just one part of the problem. Ensuring that they have access to basic applications like email and file sync and sharing through remote desktop access and virtual infrastructures is key. Security is a major concern as cyber criminals take advantage of new inadequately protected devices accessing business networks from many different locations.
IT as an Enabler
IT has a crucial role to play in enabling businesses to operate in this new normal and the early adopters will reap the rewards. Those that move fast to Evolve and Adapt their business will not only ensure continuity but gain a competitive advantage.
- The cloud is the backbone of remote working. Cloud based applications and services allow employees to access the information they need regardless of their location.
- Modern communication tools enable remote collaboration in realtime speeding up decision making.
- Productivity is enhanced through digitally transforming processes via Microsoft’s Power Platform
- Security is imperative as cyber criminals look to exploit vulnerabilities that the new normal presents.
It is time now to Evolve and Adapt your business.
We adopt a holistic approach to our customers focusing on the current issues but with a forward-looking perspective. Our objective is to solve immediate problems but make sure that your investment is protected into the future. And we always have security at the centre of what we do.
We can help you modernise and evolve into a business that will operate competitively in the here and now plus scale up or down cost effectively in the current fluctuating and uncertain marketplace.
Call us to arrange a review of your business IT with a member of our team.
The future of SMB’s productivity is about how our approach to technology is changing, how we are increasingly working on the move and how the idea of the office as the primary work location is no longer accepted as the conventional norm. With mobile technologies it is now possible to be connected anywhere, at any time and we can be as effective at home, at the airport or even waiting for a taxi.
Once a luxury reserved for only large companies, technologies such as cloud and mobility are now available and affordable to even the smallest businesses. In many industries, these types of modern technologies are necessities for those looking to grow and gain a competitive edge.
Some of our mobile technologies tips to make your life easier when working on the go:
- Get Office 365. The single best productivity software on the Market. Centralised cloud stored email and OneDrive for Business for your documents. It can be accessed from Office applications or any web browser you have access to. Want to always have the latest version of Office? Sign up for an inclusive plan, allowing a single user install Office on up to 5 PC’s. All you need to use any of it is a device with internet access, it’s a no brainer.
- Don’t travel, Video Conference. Some things just can’t be done without a face to face. Sometimes it’s just a matter of putting a face to the name, but business is always better when the other person is not just a voice in your ear. It’s not always possible though, which is why it’s worth trying a specialised conferencing solution like Skype fro Business.
- Device Integration. There is nothing worse than having your phone, laptop and tablet that is supposed to sync, but doesn’t, leaving you in the lurch right when you need it. But hardware that shares an operating system, like Windows, has built in interconnectivity which ensures that the information you want is there when it’s needed.
- Data Safety. Having all your information remotely and the press of an icon is perfect for today’s mobile users, it’s pretty much vital. But the chance lost losing your phone or laptop, and the data being accessible, is a nightmare scenario for most companies. Applications and data should be hosted centrally on something like a Windows 2012 R2 server. Office 365 adds another level of centralised security, and Windows Intune can lock or wipe and devices that are lost or stolen.
- Schedule Smarter. Using Outlook or SharePoint for scheduling allows for collaboration between everyone who needs it, even across multiple time zones. They could integrate Bing Maps into Outlook calendar entries to show actual locations, meaning appointments can be set in stone rather than having fluid start times.
How HCS can help?
We are a Microsoft Gold partner and have been recognised in 2014 as a Global Partner of the Year Award Finalist. We are experts in delivering Microsoft Cloud Services such as Office 365, SharePoint, Azure and Microsoft’s Unified Communications solution Skype for Business. 1000’s of users trust us to support their Office 365 cloud platform. We have a dedicated and experienced SharePoint Team who will drive your productivity.
Contact our Microsoft certified team on 01-8734120 | 051-595200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out the best place to start working with mobile technologies.
For more information Office365